Saturday, May 31, 2008

my crackpot theory

I've had this thought running through my head for years. This is the first time I've committed it to print.
For those astronomy fans out there: Have you ever looked at the Valles Marineris on Mars and thought that it sticks out like a sore thumb in the Martian landscape? I think scientists have already proven that there was once free-flowing water on Mars, but I don't think the forces of water can explain this colossal valley near Mars' equator. I don't quite buy the current theory that it is a geological rift valley.


It's almost a straight line and it looks like something gouged out the land.  My crackpot theory is that Mars either had a 3rd moon that spiraled in from its unstable orbit (like Phobos is predicted to do in a few million years) and scraped along the ground for hundreds of miles, or a stray body from the nearby asteroid belt had its own close encounter with the planet.  Could a catastrophe of this magnitude be enough to strip away whatever atmosphere Mars had and turn it into a desolate wasteland? I'm not qualified to say. Maybe NASA will send some probes to this region of Mars for a closer look.

No comments: